On February 13, 1808, an act of the State Legislature created Stark County from land that was originally part of Columbiana County. The first meeting of the Stark County Commissioners was held on March 16, 1809. During that first meeting, the commissioners ordered that the county be divided into townships. The first five townships of Stark County were as follows: Canton, Plain, Nimishillen, Osnaburg, and Sandy.
On February 13, 1808, an act of the State Legislature created Stark County from land that was originally part of Columbiana County. The first meeting of the Stark County Commissioners was held on March 16, 1809. During that first meeting, the commissioners ordered that the county be divided into townships. The first five townships of Stark County were as follows: Canton, Plain, Nimishillen, Osnaburg, and Sandy.
In 1809, Plain Township included what is now Lake, Lawrence, and Jackson Townships in Stark County and Green and Franklin Townships in Summit County. Only a few settlers had already located in this territory.
Two theories attempt to explain the origin of the name Plain Township. One theory is that part of the township was an open tract of land, or plain. The other is that settlers from the East named the township after their old home - Plain.
A majority of the early settlers were farmers who claimed most of the land by 1815. Early businesses included gristmills, saw mills, stores, distilleries, and a tannery. Beginning as a sparsely settled agricultural society, Plain Township grew slowly to become a prosperous urban community. By 1940, Plain Township’s unincorporated area had a population of only 6,000. Today it is about 40,000. Shifting population patterns and increased industry after World War II caused growth in the township. With this growth, expanded services became available to Plain Township residents.
 
 
 
 
Bicentennial Home | Plain Township Home | Sponsors | Contact Us